Frozen yogurt! I mean let’s face it: Everybody loves a good frozen yogurt. Adults, tweens, teens, kids, whoever. You’ve seen it a hundred times at your local ice cream parlor on Sunday in the summer: 9:00 p.m. and the place is packed! A line around the corner, kids playing, everybody’s happy; it’s the sweet life. For a diabetic, that could go two ways: One way is horribly wrong, and that’s if there’re no sugar-free items on the board. Or, totally great because they do offer some special items for people with some sort of dietary restriction. Or there’s Plan C, which is that you make a batch of this silky, creamy, coconut yogurt at home and relax with the fam on Sunday night. Let the others rush to the corner store and wait in line; your only fear will be whether or not your family leaves you any.
- 3 cups 2% plain organic Greek yogurt
- Granulated stevia extract equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sweetener, coconut milk, cinnamon, and coconut extract. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let the mixture chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions for frozen yogurt.
- In the last 5 minutes of the maker’s cycle, add the shredded coconut.